In this season of lights and celebrations, this is a perfect time to reflect and be grateful for all that this eventful year has brought us.
First and foremost, we are grateful to you – our generous supporters who made it possible for Women In Distress to serve more than 3,000 women, men and children who are survivors of domestic violence giving them hope for a life free of fear and hurt.
Among the highlights this year was adding a Pet Shelter to our services so that survivors can escape abuse knowing that their pets are part of the family and can be safe too.
Women In Distress was honored to be one of the organizations receiving a special grant from The Jim Moran Foundation in honor of what would have been Mr. Moran’s 100th birthday.
Our work is about things large and small. Like the child getting a new backpack for school; the family getting a basket of food for Thanksgiving; kids getting toys for their birthday and Christmas; having a bed for the first time; enjoying a quiet moment; sleeping through the night without nightmares.
In our mission to stop domestic violence abuse, Women In Distress
- Provided 33,000 nights of safe shelter
- Answered nearly 27,000 Crisis Hotline calls
- Delivered more than 22,00 hours of counseling and therapy for survivors and their children
- Empowered 500 survivors with career counseling, school and workplace skills, training for jobs, technology and financial literacy
- Provided Injunction-for-Protection and legal guidance to more than 500 survivors seeking help from the courts
- Became part of the new self-help center at the Broward main courthouse
These are big numbers and the most important number is one. Changing and saving one life at a time. Moving away from violence. Getting a new start equipped with skills, confidence and hope.
You are our partner in this work as you donate your time, your dollars, your leadership, your voice speaking out against abuse in all its forms.
In the spirit of giving back, thank you for joining with us and making our community a safer place for all.
With many thanks,